Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Matthew 6

Reading Matthew 6 today. This is the middle of the Sermon on the Mount, and Jesus is giving some real practical and hard to swallow advice. Like any piece of wisdom, there are multiple layers of truth that fortify each other like woven fabric. Each part securing, protecting, and allowing the others to be more daringly displayed.
Chapter 5 ends with Him teaching about revenge and choosing to love people you can't normally stand. Some areas I really lack (you may too)! He starts Chapter 6 (not that He divided His thoughts into our modern Chapters, but I digress) by talking about taking care of the needy. His instructions are not about whether or not we should take care of the needy, that decision seems understood. Of course we should take care of them. It goes without saying. Instead, His thoughts focus on the motivation that drives the decision to care.

“Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. (Matthew 6:1 NLT)

Okay, when Jesus says "Watch out!", that tells me this is a spot where I could really screw up. You have my attention. "Don't do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others..." So, if the question isn't about whether I should do the good deed or not, but the reason why I'm choosing to do it. If I'm doing it to get other people to admire me, I'm in dangerous territory. It almost feels like a warning. If you have any character flaws that make you seek other people's admiration, you might mot want to do your good deed where anybody else can see it. Like a Caution Sign.
I live at the foot of the Rocky Mountains in beautiful Colorado. And, as I drive into the mountains, I see Caution Signs everywhere. Caution Falling Rock. Caution Wildlife Crossing. Caution Steep DownHill Ahead. They know I'm driving. They know what direction I'm headed in. They know that if I'm not cautious, something ugly could happen. These signs aren't there to stop me from doing anything, just to warn me of danger, and what could happen if I don't pay attention.
What is Jesus trying to warn me off of? He continues "for you will lose your reward from your Father in Heaven." Not, you might lose... You WILL lose that reward.
The tipping point between being rewarded by God vs. being rewarded by other people's admiration happens at the point of my intention. If I do it IN ORDER TO GET someone's admiration, I will get exactly and only what I was aiming for.

When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. (Matthew 6:2 NLT)

Why do I feel the need to call a press conference to advertise those rare occasions where I do something wise , selfless, and generous? Because, in reality, I am foolish, selfish, and fearful. I just want to appear the good things. I want the benefit and respect that comes from being excellent without actually being excellent. I just want to look that way. Since that is my real intention, I get exactly what I was aiming for. I APPEAR to be a good person, when in reality, I am a hot mess.

But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. (Matthew 6:3 NLT)

I can't speak for you, but I am a clutz, and this left hand not knowing what the right is doing makes sense to me. Sometimes, when I'm attempting a rare athletic feat, my body looks like no single part of it is aware of what any other part is doing. And, that's how God advises us to do our good deeds. Unplanned. Unrecognized. Spontaneous. Foolish. Ugly. Like me trying to make a layup, with no one looking. Like when you trip in public, and look around hoping no one saw how much of an idiot you really are. "Did I get away with it?" "Is my secret safe?"

Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. (Matthew 6:4 NLT)

As if an honestly selfless act was not reward enough itself, He promises more. What will that reward be? Honesty? Compassion? Honor? A pure heart?
Where would you rather get your reward?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that my 9 year old reads this...